I have reached zero tolerance for the cruelty against our animal brothers. If we are to nurture our culture, let's begin with the animals who have been nothing but our beasts of burden for so long.
- Riki Rockett
Volunteering @ The Animal Shelter
There are many volunteer duties at the animal shelter - these include the morning sessions of kennel cleaning, helping to prepare and serve meals to the animals, kennel guides (assisting the public when choosing an animal), socializing the animals, and general housekeeping duties. Experienced dog handlers may also assist with walking the dogs, bathing and grooming them.
Volunteer work starts at 9am everyday, up to 4pm. Please write in to email@example.com or call 03 4256 5312 to book your visit.
Volunteers under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a parent, teacher or guardian above 18 years of age.
Dress Code & Precious Belongings
All volunteers are urged to dress appropriately, and bring a spare change of clothes as there is a high chance of getting your clothes wet or soiled while at the shelter! Cotton t-shirts with shorts/ long pants are recommended, as well as covered rubber shoes. SPCA will provide a room or locker for volunteers to store their belongings temporarily, but please keep your valuables e.g. wallets, cameras, handphones on you at all times. A waistpouch is convenient for this purpose!
Health & Safety
Please bring your own gloves, face masks or aprons. We also advice you to practice extreme caution when handling the shelter animals, as some of them may be unsocialized or ill. If at any point you are unsure of an animal, please approach one of the kennel staff for assistance.
Please also wash your hands between handling animals, to prevent the spread of contagious diseases. It is strongly advisable to also disinfect yourself and change your clothes before handling your own pets at home, after a visit to the shelter.
Volunteering @ The Marketing & Communications Dept
If you are experienced and interested in helping in the MarComm Department, you can assist us with the following:
- Media liaison - press releases, finding new opportunities for SPCA through media, etc
- Marketing materials - creating new materials or upgrading old flyers, posters, etc
- Merchandise - design, sourcing, surveys & research, stock count, etc
- Education - conducting educational sessions for students, conducting tours of the shelter, etc, assisting with creation of new Education Packs
- Photography - For updating online adoption galleries. Taking photos of animals for adoption, getting details and uploading to SPCA website, Facebook, and several other websites
- Database management - help update SPCAs database of emails
- Campaigns - Propose and help to carry out campaigns e.g. Dog Bite Prevention for schoolchildren, Anti Dog/ Cat Meat consumption, etc
Volunteering @ Outreach Events
SPCA Selangor organizes many events, and is frequently invited to participate in pet events, school fairs and family events. We always need volunteers to help us with setting up the booths, merchandise sales, adoption counseling, petitioning and distribution of educational materials.
We do not have a formal internship program, but may be able to tailor-make one for you! If you are interested in interning with SPCA Selangor for 4 weeks up to several months, please do send us an e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.