1) Information on SPCA
1. What is SPCA Selangor's operating cost?
SPCA's current operating cost is RM1.3mil per annum.
2. How many staff does SPCA Selangor have?
There are currently 21 full-time staff employed by SPCA Selangor.
3. How many animals does SPCA Selangor receive and re-home?
We receive between 600-700 unwanted, lost or neglected animals per month, and manage to re-home 25% of these on average every month.
4. I would like to be informed of SPCA activities.
SPCA Selangor sends out weekly e-newsletters. Please drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org and request to be put on our mailing list, or you can sign up online on the main page of our website
5. I do not want to receive your e-newsletters, please remove me from your list.
Please drop us a line at email@example.com and request to be removed from our mailing list
6. How do I get to SPCA Selangor?
You can view, download and print a map to SPCA Selangor here >>
7. I would like to make a complaint about SPCA Selangor.
Kindly send us an e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org, highlighting your complaint.
2) Adoption, Fostering
1. How do I adopt a Puppy / Dog / Kitten / Cat?
You can view the Adoption Procedure page here >>
2. Does SPCA have cute pure-breed puppies or kittens?
90% of the animals surrendered to us are mix-breeds. While we do receive some pure-breeds, they are mostly adults.
3. Can I adopt a dog if I live in an apartment/ condomium?
Yes, you can adopt a small-sized dog from the animal shelter on condition that your condominium/ apartment management allow residents to own dogs.
4. Can I adopt a dog for my farm/ factory?
Though rare, we do allow dogs to be adopted into these compounds on a case-to-case basis, after an inspection of the premises and an interview with the caregivers to ensure that the dogs will be well taken care of.
5. Can I book an animal for adoption? I canít take it in immediately.
We usually operate on a first-come-first-serve basis, and the adopters take home their newly-adopted pet immediately. However, sometimes we do allow the pet to be booked and taken home within 1-2 weeks - e.g. it has not been neutered yet, the new owner is renovating their home, etc.
6. Can I foster if I live in an apartment or condominium?
Yes, you can help foster kittens and cats if you live in an apartment/condo, however its not advisable to foster pups and dogs as in a new environment they may make a lot of noise - leading to complaints from the neighbours.
7. I found a newborn/ young kitten/puppy. What should I do?
Sometimes you may come across a litter of kittens/pups huddled under the building stairs, in a playground, in an abandoned building etc. Please be patient and monitor them for several hours to see if their mother comes back - mother cats/dogs have to leave their litter to search for food and water several times a day. If you or someone you know can foster them, please take the young ones in together with their mother - as they stand a much higher chance of surviving with their mothers milk and care.
However if you observe that the mother dog/cat has not returned the whole day, or if the pups/kittens look like they have been abandoned for a few days (judging from their poor hydration, dirty condition of their fur,etc) please do pick them up and either foster them yourself or find them a foster home - as they will not survive out there on their own.
There are a lot of websites online that can guide you on fostering young animals (Google search terms like 'hand-rearing kittens', 'fostering orphaned puppies', etc)- they need to be fed every few hours, kept clean, dry and warm, and monitored closely. Depending on their health condition, they may or may not survive but please do give them a chance! It's a substantial amount of work, but when they survive and thrive you will feel so rewarded!
8. How do I foster an animal from the SPCA?
A couple of questions we usually ask potential fosters are :
Are you able to feed the foster animals 4-5 times daily? Does your schedule allow for this?
Do you have a safe, clean and draught-free indoor place to keep the young animals?
Is everyone in your household agreeable to fostering? Any allergies?
How long can you commit for? If we let you have a 2-month old pup or kitten, your commitment would be around another 4-5 weeks. After you've monitored it for two weeks, you bring it back to SPCA for vaccination and de-worming, and take it back for another 2-3 weeks. Assuming its healthy, you can bring it for adoption at the end of the 4-5 weeks.
Do you have a vet nearby for emergencies? SPCA can de-worm, vaccinate and treat illnesses like diarhea, flu, skin problems,etc but its best to have a vet nearby just in case the animal needs urgent medical attention
Mortality rate is pretty high for these young animals, are you strong enough to face the reality that they may not survive - even with the best care?
3) Surrendering Pets
1. I want to surrender my cat/ dog. What is the procedure to do so?
2. I surrendered my pet to SPCA today. Can you let me know before you put it to sleep?
3. I brought in a pup/ kitten/ dog/ cat and SPCA told me it would be put to sleep. Why?
4) Cruelty/ Neglect of Animals
1. There is a pet shop where animals for sale are not treated well. Can SPCA help?
2. I came across a cat/ dog that is being abused/ neglected. How do I make a report to SPCA?
3. What authority does SPCA have when it comes to cruelty cases?
4. I came across a disturbing article on animal abuse e.g. neglected horses, dog-eating, etc in the papers. What is SPCA going to do?
5) Klinik Kembiri, Neutering
1. How do I get to Klinik Kembiri?
2. How much does it cost to neuter my pet at Klinik Kembiri?
3. What do I have to do before bringing my pet in for neutering?
4. Are there any negative side-effects of neutering an animal?
6) Donations, Membership, Wish List
1. How do I become a member of SPCA?
2. I have been donating to SPCA but did not receive any receipts in the mail.
3. How can I donate to SPCA? Who do I write a cheque to?
4. How does the credit card donation work?
5. What are the items that are needed at SPCA?
6. I would like to donate food to SPCA, what kind do you need?
7) Sponsorship, Joint-Ventures
1. My company would like to have a joint-venture with SPCA, how can we work together?
2. Does SPCA have a Corporate Sponsorship Program?
8) Invitations For Events, Outreach
1. We would like to invite SPCA to participate in our school/ college/ company event.
2. What kind of events does SPCA Selangor participate in?
3. What is the typical SPCA booth setup like?
1. How do I purchase SPCA merchandise?
2. Does SPCA do mail-orders for merchandise?
10) Humane Education, School Visits & Projects
1. Can SPCA give an educational presentation at my school/ office?
2. Iím a student and doing a project on animal welfare. Can I interview someone at SPCA ?
3. I would like to organize a school/ college/ company visit to SPCA. How do I go about this?
1. How do I become a volunteer, and what will I be doing?
2. Iím below 18, can I volunteer at the Animal Shelter?
3. What are some of the other animal welfare organizations I can volunteer with in the Klang Valley?
12) Pet Care/ Pet Issues
1. My dog is aggressive, what can I do ?
2. Where can I take my dog for obedience training?
3. My cat is pregnant, but I donít want the kittens. What should I do?
4. Where can I spay/ neuter my pet, and how much does it cost?
13) Nearest Vet, Pet Shops, Boarding Facilities, Emergency Vets
1. Where is the nearest government vet clinic?
2. Whereís my nearest vet?
3. Which vets have emergency services?
4. Iím going overseas/ out of town. Where can I board my cat/ dog?
14) Pet Burials
1. My pet passed away, where can I have it buried/ cremated?
15) Job vacancies & Internships
1. How do I apply for a job at SPCA?
2. Can I do my internship at SPCA?
16) Animal Welfare Organisations
1. Me and some animal lovers would like to start an animal shelter/ animal welfare organization. How do we go about this?
17) Jumble Sale, Charity Shoppe
1. What items are needed for the Jumble Sale?
2. Can SPCA pick up bulky items like furniture, TV, etc for the Jumble Sale?
18) Lost & Found Animals, Dog-catchers
1. I lost my cat/ dog. Can you help me find it by putting this poster at the shelter and on your website?
2. I lost my pet. Where should I look?
3. The dog-catchers caught my dog. Where can I claim it, and how?
19) Stray Animals, Animals in Distress, Animal Emergencies
1. I care for stray animals in my area. How can SPCA help me?
2. There are many stray animals in my area. Can SPCA take them all away?
We're sorry to hear about your situation, but we sincerely hope you will be able to be patient and help the cats but neutering them. Neutering is the only way to nip the cat overpopulation problem in the bud - permanent, affordable and effective. We have set up a low-cost, high-volume clinic in collaboration with DBKL in Setapak to neuter pet and stray cats and dogs for a discounted price. Female cats cost RM60, while males cost RM40 for castration. If you are a good Samaritan helping strays in your neighbourhood, our manager Dr Suhanna can further discount the price for you as we want more and more people to come forward and help us deal with this challenge. Please contact her at 40243446 to make an appointment.
3. There is a stray dog near my house. Can SPCA come and pick it up?
4. I found an injured animal/ animal in distress. Can SPCA help?
Many people in such situations resort to poisoning the cats, or catching them and dumping them somewhere else. However, this is possibly the worst thing to do as cats are territorial animals- once there is a vacuum created (by removing the existing cats), new cats will quickly move into the area within days or a few weeks. Its best to just neuter the existing cats and letting them be. To prevent them from messing up your compound, you can look up cat repellants on the internet - natural ones such as curry powder, pepper, saffron, and lemons have proven quite effective. Alternatively you can pick up some repellant spray from the local pet shop.
There are many monkeys in my area, and they are a major disturbance to the residents here. Who should we call?
20) Wild animals, Exotic Pets
1. What is SPCA Selangorís policy on exotic pets?
2. Who should I contact if I see a wild animal in distress?
21) Legislation, Penalty For Animal Abuse
1. What is the current legislation that protects animals in Malaysia?
2. Why is the penalty for animal abuse so mild?